Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Post hot weather check

Was wondering how our bees have been doing with the heat. We had several 90° days during the past week and while I was away during the weekend, hot days for our area but typical at this time in August. I rigged up some shade for the hive by moving the plastic roof liner out from under the roof much like an awning and also opened two more front entrances on Thursday, Aug 25, after smelling an off odor around the hive, a very strong fermented honey smell. That evening I also lifted a bar to see how hot it was inside and a wave of heat escaped. The bees acted normal, some fanning near the entrances but were not using the birdbath water.

Lee said bees were at the birdbath Sunday evening when he got home and refilled it. So they needed water to cool I'm thinking...first time I've been aware they were at water. The birdbath is next to the steps from the deck into the backyard. Somewhere I read that they like stagnant, stinky water that is a little distance from the hive so I haven't placed water closer as I had planned last spring.

Monday, Aug 29 notes. Last look at the hive was Aug 25 before we took off, not inside but outside observation. Today when I returned it just had a strong sweet honey smell so expect all is okay. Bees were looking good...so very many out there--it looks like a real hive now with activity comparable to the stacking hives of our neighbor. According to the bee calendar at http://www.beekeepingandbeehives.com/the-beekeepers-calendar/, bees will start decreasing in September…not sure which land area that covers. That might not be the case here; I expect it to happen a little later because of our area's mild climate and much nectar still available. Also, I put an empty bar in the brood area during July and I believe it was used for brood--we'll see when we do the hive check for fall. It looks from bottom activity that they are almost to the end of the hive now. I'll sneak a quick peek tomorrow morning to see where they are now. Found that I liked the 7:30a time to look into the hive--calm bees compared to heightened activity in the later morning and afternoon; will see if it holds true tomorrow.

Today 8:00a 61° overcast slight drizzle. A good time to look into the hive as bees were quite calm; guard bees came for a look but I took a few steps away to give off good vibes and let them calm down. Thank heavens for spacers; the ¾” spacer next to the left follower allowed enough space to move bars over. Found many festooning bees on B16 which I shook into the hive so I could take pictures. The bees have been busy…I love it! B13 comb almost fully drawn; new comb on B14 and a small start on B15. Only B16 remains empty. I was just going to look so didn't have tools with me...used a twig to sever cross combing from B13 to B14 and pushed protruding part back into B13 space. Almost afraid to think what’s going on further back on B12 and others. Expect it will be necessary to remove a bar of honey as soon as they start comb on B16, the last bar in the hive—won’t that be a milestone?!
Comb on B14

Start of comb on B15

No comments:

Post a Comment