Thursday, September 29, 2011

Not a mite in sight...

Just a quick peek with pictures today; total sunshine, not a cloud to be seen, 70° at the time I opened the hive about noon.

Still no comb on B16, which was expected; B15 had no nectar on the left side but had capped honey on the right side. There was lots of nectar on the right side of B15 when viewed on Sept 12 and 25; I actually saw capped cells on this side yesterday, which is why I decided to take pictures today, but nectar and capped cells gone today—am I seeing things?! Are they using their food stores already? I’ll put out a 2:1 sugar syrup and check B15 every few days to see how it goes. Compare B15 picture today with that of Sept 12…lovely but few bees and no nectar.

Took a photo of B14 from the top to show how it wows into B15 space; that seems to be a normal configuration so I am not worried about it. The 1.5” bars seem to be good.

Took photos of bottom board to check for mites, which I did not see while holding the board and do not see now when zooming in on the pictures. Nor do I see any mites attached to the bees themselves in the pictures of bees inside the hive. I could see mites on the sticky board at the neighbor's hive and on the bees there as well, so I’m 98.5% sure there are none in this hive…big yeah!
Bottom board, brood side
Bottom board, other side


A good photo of the bottom up view showing part of B11, and B12, B13, B14, B15 and empty B16.
B11 through B15 comb, note the two-bee space between

Another bottom up view, bees in the middle section showing no mites. Zoom in to see the tiny body hairs and veins in the wings.


Closed hive…bees and hive are good.


No comments:

Post a Comment