Saturday, May 17, 2014

Independence Warre Hive Renovations...a good thing???

Have decided I want a harvest of honey from the Independence Warre hive and talked with hive builder, Ken. The bees have remained in the same box since the beginning and not moved into the lower box. Ken and I think this is due to the size of this top bar/Warre hybrid. Perhaps the motto is "don't mess with success" but what fun is that and how is one to learn?!

On Thursday, May 15, I added a 'super' to the top. Perhaps this will encourage the bees to increase their stores? I actually think not; in fact, the day after add the box, bees were busy sealing the openings between the bars (I had moved the fabric cover from the occupied box to the top of the new empty placed above it). A day later I am thinking it was not a good idea to remove the whole cover--opening a small portion of it would have been better; less heat would have escaped from their core area...too late now. Also added 1:1 cane sugar syrup to encourage comb building; will check in three days (Sunday) to see if they are using it.




No comments:

Post a Comment